10.06.2006

A rainy day

Today we woke up to rain. I'm working from home today as I have a 11:30 am doctor appointment. Last night the little girls finally seemed to figure out the idea of the roost bar. I had the top of the roost box open as I was looking to see if Agnes had laid an egg out of the nest box (no such luck). And they were on and off the lip and the roost bar. Of course, once I closed the upper portion, and they all moved to the roost bar, Agnes had to have her say. In the end, she claimed the whole thing for herself and they slept piled in the corner again.

But at least they're figuring it out. When I went out to open the door for them this morning, Mary was up on the roost bar with Agnes and they seemed to have come to a truce. I hope they keep trying and learning what it's for. As Pru and Maggie get bigger (Mary's already almost as tall as Agnes) I think they'll be better able to defend their right to roost... If not, we'll have to find a way to add another roost bar in there. But, with it being 4' wide, there should be plenty of room for these four little banty hens...

No comments: