9.05.2006

The Playhouse Coop

I have decided on a coop design for my hens. I plan to build a version of this coop, designed by a gentleman in Madison, WI.


What I like about it is that it is run, roost box, and nesting box all in one. It has a compact footprint at 4'x8', it's not at all beverly hillbillies looking and the roof means that my chickies will be dry even during the extensive rainy season here in the PNW.

Modifications that I plan to make:

  • brown metal roof, not green, as we have some free metal roofing
  • cedar shake siding - we have just enough left from siding our shed that we should be able to do the two sides of the coop that will be visible from the house and yard (who cares about the alley side - we can't see it....)
  • I plan to create a "concrete foundation" using some leftover 12"x12"x2" conrete pavers. This should help dissuade the opossums and racoons in the neighborhood

I'm going to work on it while M is off on his annual elk hunting trip - he leaves the Thursday after Labor Day for 2 weeks. So I'll go to the lumber yard that Saturday to get my supplies and get going. If all goes well, maybe I'll even finish before he gets back!

No comments: