10.22.2006

The girls – all settled

It seems that a pecking order has been established as calm is reigning in the coop. I’m not sure that Agnes ended up on top as I would have guessed. I think the final order is Mary, Agnes, Maggie and then Pru. But no matter, as long as they are all getting along and no one is getting picked on we’re just fine.

A flaw in the coop design was found last week when we got some very heavy rain. It seems that on the back side (along the fence) the rain dripping off the roof was splashing up from the concrete and getting the straw all wet. M found me a 2”x12” that was about 8 feet long and we leaned it against the back to keep the splashing off the straw. Of course by then the straw was so wet that it was impossible to see if it was helping and after I cleaned the wet straw out on Thursday it stopped raining. Hmmm. It’s supposed to rain some more this week so I guess then we’ll know. If that hasn’t stopped it then I think we’ll put some plastic up about 2’ on that side to keep them dry.


The little girls are getting big fast – I’ll try to get a pic tonight or tomorrow. They are all almost as tall as Agnes already, Mary may even be taller. Poor Agnes, the little Serama that she is, is going to end up the smallest of the bunch I think. They’ve been going to be awfully early the last few nights. To the point that I think after the time change this coming weekend that they’ll be in bed by the time I get home. Oh well, they should be up before I leave so I can say hi then.

No comments: