2.08.2007

Hatching eggs are on their way

My friend Denise on the peninsula has agreed to take any chicks I can hatch. Yay! So yesterday we ordered 6 standard size eggs (about all little Phyl can handle, and maybe more (we'll see). We ordered 3 Cuckoo Maran eggs and 3 Dominique eggs. We're hoping to hatch 4-5 of them and then hoping to get at least 2 hens out of it.

I gave Phyl 3 golf balls to sit on last night to keep her broody. This weekend I'm setting up a broody box for her in the crate that Jake outgrew so that we can move her in there Saturday night. We're going to keep her in the garage. The eggs ship on Monday and I think will be here Wednesday. Then 3 weeks later we should have eggs! The way the dates fall mean the chicks should hatch on my birthday, give or take 24 hours - so much fun!

Once the chicks hatch, I'm going to meet Denise half way and hand off the chicks and Phyl to her to raise. She's got a small coop that she's no longer using and is going to put them in there for the first 4-6 weeks. I'll keep you posted on how this goes. What fun!

No comments: